Halloween is tomorrow, and you know what that means…
Candy, candy and more candy!
While enjoying the occasional high-sugar confection won’t kill you, eating the stuff on a regular basis (or binging on the Halloween loot!) will promote weight gain and harm your health.
The good news is that you don’t have to trade your health to enjoy a piece of delicious candy. In fact, candy can be a great vehicle for antioxidants, healthy fats and nutrients.
That is… if you’re using the right ingredients!
Today, I’m going to share a 5-minute recipe for a protein-packed treat that will bring a smile to little (and big) goblins alike.
- 4 Tbsp. Great Lakes Unflavored Grass-fed Gelatin
- 1/3 cup organic lemon juice concentrate (try Santa Cruz Organic)
- 1 cup water
- 20-30 drops liquid stevia extract (to taste)
- 1 mandarin orange, pureed (this will make your gummies a pale orange color)
- 1 drop of red vegetable-based food coloring (try India Tree)
- In a medium saucepan, add the lemon juice and water. Bring to a simmer and add gelatin, whisking to ensure there are no lumps.
- Add food coloring and/or mandarin orange and continue stirring.
- Pour into mold, ice cube tray or 9 x 9 inch pan
- Transfer to freezer to set for 15 minutes.
- Keep stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.